'56 Fuel Filter - Update

Wow!  Lots of great help and suggestions - thanks to everyone who responded.

Here's what I've learned so far along with a new question.

There appear to be two sources that may actually carry the stone filter
elements: Valley Vintage Auto Parts and JC Auto.  The folks at my local NAPA
store
were very familiar with the stone filters but could not locate them for me.
I've submitted a request to NAPA's online help center and am awaiting a reply.

Paul - you suggested that the stone filters last much much longer than the
paper ones and can be cleaned.  This doesn't surprise me but I'm wondering what
the best cleaning procedure is.

Someone suggested replacing the gasket due to swelling concerns with modern
fuel so I went back and checked the gasket condition.  It does not look the
least bit out of shape; no bulging against the housing so I would say it is
still
okay.  It certainly seals very well and I've had the thing apart four times
now.

Jeff
'56 Sedan
Trenton, NJ