Window Sweeper Minutae

Regarding glass wiskers / window sweeper. This past week, I received from
Andy Bernbaum, a number of 8' lengths of window sweeper. Part description:
      A-362....Chrome beaded window sweeper, 8 ft.
length,5.............................    21.00 /ea.
      A-362A.Window sweeper
clips.....................................................      0.50 /ea.

Listed under  1960-62 DeSoto Chrysler & Imperial at:
http://www.oldmoparts.com/a.htm

I purchased these for my 1963 Crown Four-Door. Bernbaum only lists up to
1962 for this product for Imperial. They show this part # applying to model
years back to 1937. I expected some variation. What I got back was very
close to the original. The felt is a little wider than the old, and it's
placed higher on the strip, up to the chromed bead where the orig had a
1/2'' wide bare cloth strip to the bead. The bare cloth strip width would
more coincide with the chromed window frame's top piece of a hardtop car's
window vs the bare glass edge on a sedan's window.
There are some tricks for a well done replacement. At the factory, they
squared off either end by taking a 1/2'' section and bending it 90deg
downward. I've found that clipping an amount out of the bottom section, then
filing a notch in the underside of the chromed bead makes for a clean bend.
Being off a roll, the strip stock has a bend to it. This is bent in a
direction that presses the center area of the strip against the panel/door,
making for a tight and even fit to the the chrome beaded top.

Also in the order were a pair of rear quarter window divider
rubber,A-437....Quarter window divider
rubber,7...................................................    32.50 /pr.

These were supplied as cut off a roll, like the sweeper stock. At the
factory, I think they probably quickly heat treated either end, making these
alterations to standard roll stock: flap at top for forward hollow section,
a sueding of this forward hollow section where it met the front door glass
frame, a stepped cut out at top, and a moulded treatment at the bottom of
the piece. What I received from Bernbaum has a single finish on the rubber,
and was easy to modify at either end w/a razor blade. Helpful note: this is
a time when a coating of ArmorAll comes in handy. I cleaned the channel in
the rear window, waxed, then tried to slide the new bare rubber in the
channel. It was resistant to run down the channel. A coating of ArmorAll,
not a product I use for much else, let them slide right down.

Bernbaum was helpful and fast.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'72 Newport Custom Sedan

>Are we safe to "assume" that in his online catalog by "1963-64 CHRYSLER =
4-DR SEDAN", that Andy means Imperial too??  Wonder if the  "Window =
sweepers"  listed are the type with the flat stainless steel tops and =
the cat whiskers?