Alignment Proceedures - '56

First of all, I wouldn't leave any of my cars at a front end shop unless I was
firmly convinced that they were qualified to do the work.

Back in 1975 I foolishly left my '65 Imperial at Sears Service, because it
needed upper control arm busings and an outer tie rod end. I blindly trusted
Sears, and I had a credit card to pay them with, which played a major role in
the selection of their shop. They actually ruined my car.

Like Dick Benjamin says, anything that was ever built can be rebuilt, but they
botched the car so badly that it required extensive additional repairs totaling
over $1,000 to fix it right. At that time the car wasn't worth $1,000. If the
cost of the repair exceeds what the car is worth, that to me is the point where
I would say that they ruined the car. Worse, they accepted NO responsibility
for what they did, even though it was blatently obvious by looking at the car
that they had done something terribly wrong.

Since then, I get to know the shop very well with other work on lesser vehicles
before I ask them to work on one of the Imperials. I also make sure that they
know what they are getting into with the Imperial before they see the car. I
have offered to provide the factory shop manual for reference. I never mind if
they ask me questions, but there are certain questions that they should be able
to answer themselves.

The reason that the adjustments are SO different between your '56 and the other
cars that you mentioned is that it has a king pin front suspension system. I
believe that the other cars that you mention are torsion bar front suspension
systems.  There is nothing so unusual about the front end on the '56 that
should require a "special explanation". I believe that many pick up trucks used
that type of system quite late.

If the procedure in the shop manual wasn't correct, I would guess that it would
have been noticed before now. Since my shop didn't require the shop manual to
do the work on either my '55 or my '56, I can't say how they made the
adjustment. I do think that if the car requires more than the adjustment will
permit to be aligned, then it probably needs some new parts.

I am having some front end work done on my '84 Buick tomorrow morning at the
"shop that has served me so well". I will ask them your question and see what
they say. I am thinking that they may want to have the car there, which won't
be an option. I will bring the shop manual and see what they can add about the
caster adjustment. I will report back later tomorrow.

Paul