IML DIGEST

Having been a chauffeur for a long time and having thought about using
antique cars in a limo company of my own (haven't done it), there are a
handful of issues to consider. The biggest issue is liability and insurance.
One accident and injury equals one big lawsuit and loss of everything
without real good insurance. The minimum insurance the ICC (Interstate
Commerce Commission. Regulate truckers and the like) is,last I knew, $1.5
million per vehicle. That's a hefty monthly premium. I'd probably go for
more than $2 million per car just to be safe. With the car being used (and
abused) more often, maintenance will be considerably higher. Spilling
champagne, beer, soda, chips, cheese, crackers, bubble gum, etc., will cause
more repairing and replacing of interior parts and upholstery than Sunday
drives. Getting sick in the car.....well...... let's not go there.
Basically, all of your expenses will increase dramatically. I'm not against
this idea, as I still occasionally think about doing it, but it's stuff to
think about. It's a business. there are contracts to consider, who to pick
to maintain the car, because when it breaks, it needs to be fixed NOW,
because the next job is in a few hours. You can't piss off clients like
that, or you'll be out of business soon. One possibility I thought of might
be to approach a limo company and see if you can run your car under through
their company. If you can be covered under their insurance, that might be
money saver. A myriad of possibilities.

Dave
in Maine
'56 4 dr sedan