From: <RandalPark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 62 Imp bumper jack

> I would agree that the bumper jack is not safe to use alone, but I
wouldn't throw it away. Even though I wouldn't use it to jack up the car by
itself, I do find it useful to get the car high enough off the ground to
place a better jack under the frame. Whenever raising a car, always block
the wheels opposite the end you are lifting.

> All Chrysler cars are suppose to have reverse threaded lug nuts on one
side. I think this began in the '40s, possibly earlier.

Qlv@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> > Throw the bumper jack away...they are dangerous to use.  Get yourself a
bottle jack or a jack that is used by most mechanics...the kind you pump up,
sort of a hydraulic jack..I don't know its correct nomenclature but they are
much safer to use. I've seen them for sale recently at Costco's for about
$35...well worth the cost.  As for the lug wrench,  I use a socket wrench
with a bar for leverage, it works much better.  Now, I don't know about your
car but the lugs on my Imperial have a reverse thread on the left wheels,
something to remember.

car show and bought it on the spot.  We call her (the car) "Prom Queen"
because my wife graduated in 62.

> > The spare tire is one of the original tires and it has a bumper jack
that came with it.  I never had the chance to really inspect it until I had
to use it the other day while going a complete brake job.  (that's another
story)

> > Anyway the jack does not work and it useless.  I'm looking for a bumper
jack for the car, plus the lug wrench  Does