The name: Imperial

Very interesting, John, although I have never really thought that the name
Imperial was the problem. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but look at the years
that the car really did well. In 1957 the public didn't say "Imperial doesn't
mean luxury". They said look at that beautiful car! They knew that there was
engineering and innovation behind it since that was what the company, Chrysler
Corporation, had always stood for. They loved it! The car dripped with luxury,
prestige, and in the minds of the public QUALITY.

Unfortunately, the quality part was just an illusion based on the past.
Chrysler Corporation had one "H" of a time getting people to believe in them
again after that. Soon they were telling people that they were building
"America's Most Carefully Built Car", but guess what, in the meantime some one
else built something with even more style and class. Imperial's styling was
behind the times, even though they got back their quality. It was too late.

>From then on Imperial just played catch up. As beautiful as they were, Engel's
>Imperials were there because he had done a great job of saving another luxury
>car. To do the same for the Imperial he had to "make another copy". He did,
>and they soldiered on.

Even the '80s Imperials mimicked something that had been tried and successful
with another make first. I never quite understood the message of the '90s model
since the popular top end cars at that time were still relatively big, rear
wheel drive barges, and the folks in that market still wanted that when the
1990 Imperial was introduced. Maybe that model was the final shot at
innovation, predicting the ultimate luxury car for the coming decade of the
'90s. Maybe they even had an inside track on what was being planned at
Cadillac. That time they missed badly, as did Cadillac. In the '90s Lincoln out
sold Cadillac several years in a row because that gamble didn't pay off for
General Motors either.

I read the Motor Trend road test of the 1990 luxury cars. That year the 1990
Lincoln won Car of the Year. Though highly criticized for that move, in that
article Motor Trend pegged the luxury car market that was to be in the 1990's
right on target. Their opinions have carried a lot of weight with the car
buying public over the years and they were not kind to the 1990 Imperial and it
wasn't because the name didn't say luxury and prestige.

Paul