Gimmickry and Gadgetry

Greg,

I think that you have a great idea, and I wouldn't mind starting with my one of
my favorite Imperial Gimmick/Gadget's being the Panelescent Lighting. What a
beautiful set up, but imagine owning the car when it was 10 years old, with no
dash lights, and no one readily able to fix it. Here is a sad little story to
go with it.

I once knew an elderly man who was still driving his 1962 Imperial Crown when
it was 15 years old. It had not been taken care of and among the many things
that were not right was the Panalescent Lighting. Never fear, because my old
friend was nothing if he wasn't ingenious! He had purchased a small light that
plugged into the cigarette lighter socket that he mounted over the speedometer,
wire and all. He turned it on at night so that he could see the instrument
cluster.

The same gentleman screwed a door bell button from the hardware store into the
padded portion of the steering wheel. This was used to activate the horn after
the horn ring was broken off. He also had a very durable replacement for his
long since sheered off turn signal lever, a bright green tooth brush sticking
out the side of the steering column.

Paul

In a message dated 12/30/2003 7:17:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
65luxuryliner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hello List!
>
> There have been a number of posts on the List lately regarding swivel seats.
>This morning I mentioned my experience with swivel seats and in another post I
>wrote about a very useful gadget in another make of car I own.  My apologies
>to the List for mentioning another make!  Had I not been pressed for time this
>morning, I would have added to that (other make) post with an idea I got while
>reading about the swivel seats.  The idea is this:  In the last day and a half
>of 2003, I thought it might be kind of fun for the members of the List to
>write with their experiences and or knowledge of gimmicks and gadgets down
>thru the 20th century that helped sell (kill sales of) our Imperials.  I guess
>it would be out of the question for the IML moderators to allow mention of
>gadgets and gimmicks from other makes.  But the gadgetry of Imperials and
>Chryslers alone could certainly generate some interesting emails.  How about
>it List?  Does anybody have any interesting stories to share or just want to
>mention some of the gadgets that have lured us into the showrooms and helped
>get us to sign on
> the dotted line!
>
> Greg McDonnell
> '65 Imperial convertible