power steering problem

The Power Steering Pump and the Steering Box are only two parts of a component
system. If your mechanic thought of either one of those things before testing
the power steering unit itself, which is built into the column, I think you
should look for a new mechanic. The pump would usually effect the power for
turns in both directions. The steering box would normally cause problems in
both directions too, although almost never feel like a "lack of power" but
rather binding or loosness.

Most likely there is at least a sticking valve in the power steering unit. At
worst the unit is falling apart inside and should be replaced. Take a look at
the shop manual under the tab for power steering and you should find a cross
section of this rather complex mechanism.

Paul