Headlamp Circuit Failure

Tony,
  My '72 Newport had a dimmer switch go out on me. At the most inopportune
times, when changing beams, I would have nothing, resulting in a mad
stomping on the switch to get them back on. A new (old) switch cured the
problem. This yr/model has the 3 position pull out headlight switch, not the
toggle switch as some earlier models had. My previously owned '67 Crown
Coupe had a bad headlamp switch that would need some coaxing once in a
while. I've heard that soaking the beam change switch in oil and then a good
workout w/the switch part of it revives them, haven't tried that yet. If the
'71's had the toggle switch, I highly recommend installing a relay into the
headlighting circuit, as described here
http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/relays/relays.html

Eric
Portland, Or

 my 71
Newport last night to go get some things at the store and when I got ready
to take off, the headlights would not work. I found this very strange due to
the fact that they were working fine 30 mins earlier.. Any help???
I am thinking the dimmer switch but I am not sure how to test it to see if
it is bad or good....!