radio reception problem

Christopher is right, mostly, with this, but in the radios I've worked on,
this adjustment is only for peaking the antenna for the AM band.  Just in
case I've missed some, double check in your owner's manual or FSM.

I believe the antenna trimmer on our cars is usually visible when you remove
the right side tuning and fader knobs, and is to be used to correct poor
reception on the AM band only.  The usual instructions say to tune the radio
to somewhere toward the high end of the AM band, where there is no station,
maximize the volume, put the antenna all the way up, then tweak the tiny
screw for maximum sound level out of your speaker.  Even though there's no
station there, you will hear background noise, and other crud - when it is
as loud as you can make it with the little screw, you've optimized the
setting for your antenna and radio.  There is no equivalent adjustment for
the FM band, although for optimum FM reception, the antenna length should be
set at 31 inches, not all the way up (although it is damn hard to tell the
difference, in my experience).  If your AM reception is good, there is no
need to fiddle with this delicate and easily broken little trimmer
capacitor.

However, none of this will do any good in the case of multiple stations
coming at the same time on the FM band, this is a failure inside the radio,
and the set needs to go to a competent repair shop for a major alignment
with the right equipment.

Dick Benjamin (who used to do this as a sideline, but wised up years ago).