"everything else looks fine" ??!!??

>Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:45:23 -0500
>From: RandalPark@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: IML: .."everything else looks fine"
>It seems like there are one or two of those on Ebay all of the time. The first
>>thing that I think is how lucky I am to have such nice cars (in comparison).
>>The next thing that I think is how much someone would have to want one in
>>order to start with something like that. As time goes on, there are fewer and
>>fewer cars available. Many classic car restorations these days start out like
>>that, while maybe 20 years ago cars in that shape would not have been
>>considered for restoration.

I have to agree with you Paul - every time I walk by Lucille I am so impressed
with just what a lovely original car she still is. We have a few little things
to attend to - under-hood cleanup, shocks, someday a brand-new set of pretty
whitewalls to replace the Toyo LT tires she's sitting on now - but on the whole
I would get in her and go cross-country with no qualms.

 Thirty years ago, I might have had the inclination to get into a restoration
of the magnitude this poor critter represents, but now I can't even think of it
without cringing! The rust, the crud, the embedded steel-eating organisms in
every body seam..... You would have to tank every piece to get it all killed
out! And I don't even want to think about the mildew colonies lurking in all
the interior padding, with the glass gone for so long. These big cars just have
so MUCH interior.

 I can almost see getting into, say, a 1953 Chevy 5-window pickup as a
frame-out resto project, but one of these big beauties? I don't think so. Not
enough lifetime left - I would much rather snuggle into Lucille, turn the key
and drive off with that big s**t-eatin' grin she always pastes across my face!

Kate Justet Triplett
Kate's Custom Gunleather
Monroe, Washington
Proudly a member of NRA
and owner of "Lucille" 1968 Crown 4 door HT