'68 440 woes

Hey Steve,

The 70 Imp Lebaron that I just purchased (and safely transported it 6 hours
to its' new home) had a similar problem from the last owner.  A pushrod bent
and a lifter popped out of it's bore causing oil pressure to cease in the
engine.  The engine was rebuilt; but, I think only the heads needed done.
What I feel that cause the initial problem was the valve sticking in the
valve guide causing the valve train to bind up resulting in a bent pushrod
and lifter poping out.  Now might be the best time in having the heads
redone including hardend valve seats installed.  This might be your best
bet.  Keep us all posted!  Thanks!

chris
70 Lebaron 4dr hardtop

>From: ImpSvcs@xxxxxxx
>Subject: IML: '68 440 woes
>Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:56:27 EST
>
>Hi All,
>     Just dropped in to see what was going on and saw the thread about
>'68's.
>My '68 seems to have developed an appetite for pushrods... I straightened,
>then replaced a few, then started replacing lifters one-at-a time where
>pushrods
>kept getting bent, thinking the lifters may be sticking.  This is a 44,000
>mile car that sat in a barn from 1979 until almost 2000 when it came to
>live
>here.
>
>     Has anyone else been through this with a 440 that's sat a long time?
>should probably just replace all the lifters, by the sound of it, but
>wonder if
>anyone else has some input?
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Charette