Price Class alphabet soup

Yup, this is an oddity, but with some logic: The Price class (second VIN
letter) indicated a car's position within its own model line rather than
across the corporation.

Thus, my '72 Charger SE with vinyl bench seat is a Premium (WP), but my far
more lavish '67 Imperial Crown is "merely" a medium (YM). This got really
wacky by the 1970s... a '74-75 Imperial LeBaron is also a YM, while a
Valiant Brougham was a Premium (VP)! And why the '76-78 NYBs were "Special"
(CS) instead of Premium or High or even Medium (by the '74 Imperial's logic)
escapes me to this day...

Chris in LA