insurance companies

I'm shocked that everybody is jumping on the insurance carrier. When I read
this post my initial response was surprise that the carrier made an opening
offer as high as $1,200.  For the respray of the trunk only, that seems like
pretty big number.

If you cannot get a proper repair for that figure, by all means stay after
them. Just stay rational and be prepared to back up all your claims with
documentation. Particularly, the problems with matching the original paint.
  I would continue to negotiate with them personally and remember the only
time it's considered a fair deal is when everybody goes away a little
unhappy.

I'm an attorney and around here you are looking at an hourly rate in the
$150-$300 range or 1/3 to 20% of recovery.  Most offices (like mine) won't
touch a property damage claim, unless it's as a favor to an existing client.
  You will almost never recover legal expenses.  To actually take this kind
of case to Court, you're looking at an initial retainer of about $3,500.
It's simply not cost effective and the insurance carriers know this. Stay
after them yourself.  If you're reasonable and have your documentation in
order they'll take you seriously when they see you aren't going away easily.

>From: "Bill Conway" <wconway@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: insurance companies
>Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:18:23 -0600
>
>Insurance companies - like everyone, including us, follow the money.  They
>insure the insured, not you.  They are there to protect the one who is
>insured against loss and/or law suit.  If the car wash was at fault,
>contact a lawyer, file a suit, claim damages, intentional negligence and
>all legal expenses against the car wash.  Let the car wash deal with the
>insurance company, after all, they are the ones paying them.  Not you.
>Follow the money.
>And good luck in court.
>Bill

Need a shot of Hank Williams or Patsy Cline?  The classic country stars are
always singing on MSN Radio Plus.  Try one month free!