Quality of the 1957 Imperial

Chrysler's new line of 1957 models put General Motors to shame.  Oldsmobile,
Buick and Cadillac used brand new bodies, but as one wag put it, although
Plymouth was "Suddenly It's 1960", Oldsmobile was "Suddenly It's 1950".
Popular Mechanics did an owner's report on a new 1957 Oldsmobile and the
assembly line worker that installed the grille nameplate installed the
letters "O-L-D-D-M-O-B-I-L-E" on  the grille.

1957 was a disaster for Buick and Oldsmobile, by the way.  Buick model year
production fell from 583,181 in 1955 to 572,024 in 1956 to 405,086 in 1957,
while Oldsmobile dropped from 554,090 in 1955 to 485,459 in 1956 and to
384,392 in 1957.   Cadillac production also dropped, but by a much smaller
amount from 154,631 in 1956 (up from 1955's 140,778) to 146,840 in 1957.

As for the borrowed money, Chrysler borrowed $250 million from the
Prudential Insurance Company in 1954.  This gave the corporation the
financial foundation to go ahead with the complete retooling needed for the
1957 models, plus plant expansion and modernization.  And they had one
hundred years to repay it  The money did not come from their suppliers,
although the suppliers generally foor the bill for tooling the parts they
produced.  Thus if Chrysler redesigned a part midway through the year a
supplier might be caught footing the bill for tooling a part twice.  But
Chrysler did not actually borrow money from them.

Bill
Vancouver, BC