Dirty 58 HEMI

When I purchased my '56 back in the early 1970's the previous owner notified me
that the car had always been run with non-detergent oil, and that I would have
to do the same to prevent engine damage. At the time I knew much less about
cars than I know now (basically nothing), but didn't like the sound of what he
had said.

I did some research and found out that the best thing to do at that time was to
drop the pan, clean out the sludge, and clean the oil screen. There was a large
amount of goop in the bottom of the pan. After that, I was then told that I
should purchase a quality engine flush product and follow the instructions on
the can.

I did these things and was able to run the car for over 100,000 miles with no
engine work. The last twenty years the car has basically been sitting with only
very occassional short trips around town, if that. Although the car really does
need an engine overhaul, it still runs very well, and I can drive it (once I
rebuilt the brakes) anytime I wish. That says a lot for a 47 year old high
miles car that hasn't ever been apart. A few years back I removed a valve cover
and found that things still looked pretty good.

Based on this, I would say that the advice that I was given turned out to be
correct. I would expect that if I hadn't cleaned everything out, the detergent
could have dragged all of that stuff through the engine and plugged up the oil
passages, although I have been told that this can't happen. Either way, I have
always been glad that I did what I did.

Paul