automatic parking brake release

The actuator valve for the automatic parking brake release is mounted to the
steering column, so that it moves relative the the position of the gearshift
lever. If the brake releases (it should do so in D or R), it suggests that
the vacuum canister and hoses are generally OK, but that the actuator might
be out of adjustment. Crawl under there and try adjusting it (it's a
rotational adjustment along the arc of the steering column) so it releases
cleanly when the gearshift is moved into D or R, but not when it's in P or
N. The actuator is easy to spot... it's a rectangular metal and nylon thing
about 2x3" with vacuum lines attached to it.

A slow-to-release brake (one which just takes its time once you leave the
lever in D or R) suggests a leak in the line or the diaphragm inside the
canister. Try just leaving it in D for about the same time it takes you to
shift back and forth from Park to Drive 4 or 5 times (in other words, wait
rather than shifting back and forth), and if the brake eventually releases,
it's just a matter of weak vacuum. (If not, see above, as it's likely the
adjustment). If you hear a hiss while the car is in gear, then try replacing
the vacuum hoses. If it's a leaking canister diaphragm, you have to replace
the canister (meaning you'll need to find one in a junkyard, most likely).

In the meantime, there is a manual release lever under the dash (atop the
canister, on the left wall of the footwell). It's intended to be reachable
by sticking your left foot up there, but Chrysler certainly seemed to hide
it well in the NYBs. I can find it by feel in my Imperial without a problem,
but I practically have to use a flashlight and my hand if I want to use the
one in my NYB...

Hope this helps...

Chris in LA
77 NYB Salon