Clarification: per the "old carb god" recommendations

Clarification: per the "old carb god" recommendations

Hi All,
   I'm looking for a bit of guidance with my TQ tuning.

I'm reading Kerry's report in the fuelsystem/repair section of the OIC and am
wondering if Kerry (or anybody) could give me some clarification of this
adjustment:

  "adjusted the main jets per the "old carb  god" recommendations. Basically
this was to press down the bar until       and back the screw on the metal bar
until there was no movement. Then turn       it in 3 1/2 turns. "

Ok,   "Press down the bar" until what?
  then
      "back the screw out until there's no movement" ?
     no movement on what?

is this with the engine running or not?

etc.

Thanks in advance