towing with a 57

When we moved last year we looked into towing the heavy 53 Chrysler and the moving truck rental and tow hitch installer (same place) made the comment that you cannot tow something that is heavier then the vehichle that is driven.  They should be a good source of information on this topic, I would suggest you contact them and be prepared to tell them how much your Airstream weighs.  It might also be worthwhile to ask about connecting brakes in both vehicles, I know little thereof except know that some trailers have electric brakes that work in tandem with the towing vehicle.  Given that brakes in older vehicles typically are not as good as newer vehicles I would make sure that brakes were in absouty the best condition possible, and I would go a step further; I would ask if you need to upgrade the cooling system, the tranny cooler(?), upgrade the size of brake pads and drums, etc..  Stopping my 53 with completely redone brake system was scary enough compared to my 1999 van, the thought of towing something with an older vehicle is, me thinks;  only for the brave and knowledgeable, and I decline membership!  I hope my concerns are helpful to your safety.
regards
Jerry53