Sloppy steering

Yes, I have noticed this problem with cars having coil rear springs and
swing arms to attach the axel to the frame.  If you goose it and it turns
one way, then when you let off on the gas, it turns the other way, the REAR
axel is moving on one side, due to worn bushings or damaged arms. The same
thing is happening as when you haave a solid axel wagon you steer by turning
the whole axel.   When I suggested getting a tech manual and following the
instructions, I was replying to his statement that he had tightened down on
the adjustment that is visable from the top, which is the wrong thing to do.
Suggestions by others to check the condition of the rest of the front
suspension parts are also very valid, but they would not correct the
problems he created by incorrectly adjusting his steering box.
    I also had a F_ _ D Grenade that had the attaching points of the rear
suspension metal fatigue to the point that the car was simply sitting on top
of the suspension, it was not actually attached to the car.  That was really
wild, since I spent most of my time on tar and chip or gravel roads.  When
the rear axel came out from under the car, I wrecked it.  It was less than 2
years old and had 80,000 miles on it.

I have owned Chrysler products since 1972, and  sloppy steering has
plagued some of these cars, however, the solution was not in the
steering box or front end parts but in the rear end. It seems that
there was increasing play in the rear axles and that by reducing the
amount of movement by adding the reduced the play in the steering
significantly.