Fluctuating Amp Gauge

I have a similar problem with my 68 LeBaron.  Now, my problem is not that the
lights go off, just that the voltage appears to suddenly change.  The "problem"
appeared when I replaced the (failed) solid state voltage regulator with a
standard one that was sitting on the trunk of my sedan for years (probably the
original in the sedan).  Dick B. had told me that this behavior is normal of
the old regulators, since they have only 3 or 4 charging settings as opposed to
infinite charging settings of the modern regulators.  It has been like that for
over 6 months now, no charging problems.  I think though that I have a 35 amp
alternator (original was 67 amps), and if I run AC too long at low speeds, the
battery seems to lose charge faster that can be recharged (so I have to turn
off the AC a bit).  I doubt that its the regulator fault though.

D^2