From: Jeff Shaw
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 8:15 PM
Subject: IML: Rebuilding A Small Block

Dan,
If you want to keep the car original, the first thing to do is buy the book, "How To Rebuild Your Small-Block Mopar" by Don Taylor. I think it is available at Amazon. I can't say enough good things about this book. It takes you from opening your hood to firing the new motor up and driving away. It is a very simple format that is written for the inexperienced. Just be realistic about the cost, with the machine shop work and high quality parts like rings, bearings, gaskets etc (don't bother buying cheap crap with all the work you are putting into it) and hardened valve seats for the unleaded gas, it adds up. There is some things you just can't do like the bore and hone, deck the block, balance and valves. If your 318 is  a high mile motor, it will have to be bored about 20 over to make the cylinders round which means new pistons. All other parts like rods, cam, lifter, pushrods, crankshaft will have to be inspected and magnafluxed by the shop to see if they can be used again. You should buy a quality "clicker" torque wrench to keep. You can rent piston installers, ring gapper, engine hoist. I suggest you buy an engine stand (about $79 at Price Club) because this project will take 5 times longer then you think. I'm not trying to discourage you but if you can do this for $1500 you are doing good, remembering your labor is worth $0. The other alternative is to buy a Mopar 360 crate engine with the install kit for $3500 and drop it in, or a real okie job of cheap parts and quick work with lots of shortcuts that you will have to do again in 6 months. I think if you and your son do it the right,  the value of the experience and what you will learn can not be counted in dollars. Good luck.
Jeff