Vaccum secondaries? Do they open?

Thanks for clarifying that.  Trying to describe something like that the
minute I get out of bed on a Sunday morning isn't very effective.  You are
exactly correct as far as  my understanding goes.

When I bought my 78, there was a problem with that top flap.  It would never
open under any circumstances.  If you floored the throttle the engine would
just start to flood and falter.  I showed it to a mechanic once and as a
quick fix, he disconnected the linkage to that top door.  Then when I opened
the secondaries that top flap would open and away I'd go.  This had a down
side in that because he disconnected the linkage to that flap, the vacuum
pot on the side was unable to hold it closed for the first second or two
after the secondaries opened.  This caused a huge bog especially at low rpm.
It would acually bog, backfire, then VVVROOOOOMM!!  When I got a parts car
that had all that linkage intact, I fixed up the carb on the 78.  It works
VERY well now.

Correct, the actual butterfly is mechanically controlled by the throttle
position and the top flap (is there a real name for that part?) is
controlled by a few factors.  I think there is a light spring on it to hold
it closed.  I think it is balanced in a specific way to make it rather easy
to open.  The engine "suction" (or vacuum) pulls it open.  The vacuum pot on
the side allows it to open only if there is some sufficient instantaneous
manifold vacuum, otherwise it is held closed.  I like this arrangement.  I
think it is a nice and simple way to solve what some make to be a complex
problem (Quadrajunk for example)