From: Bob Smith
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 4:53 PM
Subject: IML: Scams? Different variations

Of course it's not authentic.  Two basic scams that have arisen recently. They are (1) the person offers to buy your car (these addresses are obtained through ads) and offers to send you a bank check for a lot more than the car is worth.  They ask you to either pay the "deliveryman" the balance (in advance, of course), and if someone is stupid enough to send money to someone you don't know before the check clears, you lose what you send.  A list member described this a couple of weeks ago.  He was smart enough to make the sender think he was serious and got the check.  He even made a bet with his bank manager that the check was fake.  The manager didn't think so but 2 weeks or so later it came back marked "counterfeit".  Needless to say, the List member didn't lose any money on this.

The second scam is from someone who claims to be in some high government office in a foriegn country (almost always South Africa) and needs to "launder" funds that are supposedly "legitimate" through your bank account.  They offer to pay you tens or thousands of dollars for this "service."  Of course, once they obtain your bank account information, it is soon emptied.  Doesn't anyone with a brain think that government officials don't have contacts in this country and need to ask some unknown person to do this?

Usually only either incredibly stupid or slightly dishonest people who think they are getting something for nothing will fall for the second example.

Bob

i quess these guys are preying on us imlers.just received one for my 68 cinvertible for mr maxwell of maxwell autos 3 times.and he is based in south africa.does anyone think it is authentic?