Imperial Conv single lights

>Was this primarily out of the US that the single headlight was used then?

I don't think so: dual headlights were illegal in some states in1957 so
the front end of Imperial were thought to accomodate single (legal) or
dual (not legal but "modern") headlights. During 1957 most states
allowed the dual headlights (which are rare in '57 cars: Imperial / cad
Eldo Brgh / some Rambler and some other MoPar as desoto Adventurer).
Other brands like Plymouth, Dodge, Lincoln sold cars with a "look" of
dual headlight but in fact the second "headlight" were large parking or
fog lights.
But a customer who bought an earlier '57 Imperial has no choice if he
lived in a state where the dual were not (still) legal.
'57 "single headlights" are rarer than dual headlight and all the
convertibles i know are dual headlight (until this !). Note that Elvis
drove a single headlight convertible in the movie "loving you" (see
Imperial "movies" page) then bought it after the film... He had good
taste !!

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad