Roses and Uncle Larry

Title: Re: Roses and Uncle Larry
Kerry,

Sorry to hear about your uncle. It is good you got to enjoy so many enjoyable times together. Those last forever.

As for the rose, they were named in honor of Walter P, not after any year of our cars. They are a wonderful, hearty and profusely productive rose bush, and the fragrance of the softball-sized, rich-red blooms is intoxicating. To me, they are the icon of what a rose should be, just like an Imperial is to cars! I had one behind my old rental house that had been there long before I ever moved into the neighborhood. I keep meaning to go back and borrow a clipping to start a new plant in my new home... but perhaps I should just find a plant at a nursery like you did. I believe Jackson & Perkins still carries them even though they are not in their rose bush catalog at present.

It'll also make a nice tribute to your uncle to see the dozen or more blooms these produce several times per year (depending on climate).

Here's a clip from an article in the archives of the website <http://www.imperialclub.com/yearbyyear/1954/roseparade/index.htm> about the float entered by the City of Detroit at the 1954 Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA. The float was a tribute to Walter P Chrysler:

"The 'Chrysler Imperial Rose' originated from cross pollination made in Descanso Gardens, La Canada, California. Back in June of 1945 the Charlotte Armstrong was pollinated by the variety Mirandy and from the crossing of these roses came the Chrysler Imperial. Both parents were All American Rose Selections. The Charlotte Armstrong, cerise pink hybrid tea rose, won the award in 1940 and the Mirandy, a dark oxblood red rose, in 1945.

"Chosen by All American Rose Selections as one the two All America Rose winners for 1953, the 'Chrysler Imperial Rose' received its award from the Queen of the Tournament of Roses, Miss Nancy True Thorne, in presentation Ceremonies in Rockefeller Plaza, New York.

"Dr. Walter E. Lammerts of California, who is considered one of the outstanding rose hybridizers and authorities, developed the 'Chrysler Imperial Rose.' This rose is considered the 'ideal red exhibition rose' according to All America Rose Selections.

"A crimson red hybrid tea, the 'Chrysler Imperial Rose' produces an abundance of large flowers measuring up to five inches in diameter. The blooms have between 40 and 50 petals and last remarkably well in floral arrangements.

"Dr. Lammerts worked size years with thousands of seedlings before perfecting his beautiful hybrid. The All American Rose Selections award was made after years of tests in twenty All American Rose Selections trial garden throughout the United States."

Chris in LA

Kerry Pinkerton (pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
My cousin also told me about a Chrysler Imperial rose bush she had picked up at a local farm store and I stopped on the way home and got one.  It is a bright red bloom and a climbing bush.  Apparently it was named after the 1954 Chrysler Imperial.  Who says they aren't making Chrysler Imperials anymore?