ECU failures

Yep, they do sometimes just go away.   I dont have a rhyme or reason for it,
but it happens.  I had one go for about 11years on one car, and then gave it
up. Ive seen some last a very short time and some last for a very long time.

I do agree, mount them in a relatively cool location, make sure they have a
good ground, and that they dont get excessively wet - though the  design of
the connector seems to keep a lot of moisture out of it.   A bit of
dielectric grease around the " boot" portion of the connector isnt a bad
idea either.

One thing, in my years both behind the parts counter and in the service
bay - a cheap ECU is worse than one thats failing to start with.  Avoid the
19.99 units like the plague, the ones that I have seen work well include
Borg Warner, Standard Motor Products, and the NAPA ones but NOT the Napa
Silverline ones if they still offer them.

Another thing, which may apply more to conversions, if you read the Mopar
instructions for the things, they recommend the swap to the constant voltage
regulator for the early cars, or you can swap to the later ( post 72 ) style
of alternator and regulator entirely.  The ECU doesnt like a lot of voltage
spikes and fluctuations and you can definetly get that with the earlier
point style stuff.  I know there are folks who have used them successfully
as is,  Im just repeating what Mother Mopar advised.

Lastly, as far as points wont ever leave you walking.....thats generally
true but I know a lot of folks who carry a spare set and a condenser as well
as the proverbial spare ballast resistor in the tool box!

Take care

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe
( with 1 ECU under the hood, and a spare in the trunk :)   )