Antenna connector

Hallo,

I got my stereo back from the repair shop today and it seems to work
nicely now.  Four speakers, all the time!  Can anyone tell me how the
antenna connector fits together?  The connector tip is composed of two
pieces that really should remain as one.  However, when I disconnected
the antenna last year the outer piece came off inside the rubber sheath
attached to the stereo part of the connector.  It appeared that the two
pieces were still connected via a thin wire (there may have been more
strands there before I got to it), I put them back together, but the
result was not so good.  I have FM reception, not as strong as it once
was, and no AM.  How can I repair this thing?

James