first start of the day

Father was right! On later models with Thermoquads, the starting
instructions (mine are still on the visor of my '78 NYB) say to depress the
pedal to the floor once and then turn the key with your foot off the pedal.
(For very cold mornings, they suggest holding the pedal down 1/3 of the way
while turning the key.)

I find that this works well on my '63-72 cars as well, and if they've sat
for more than a few days, I treat any first start as a "very cold morning."

They all start up as they should and go immediately to fast idle, so this
seems to be the right way!

Chris in LA