first start of the day

i am sure this topic has been discussed before but here goes anyway..my
'74 owners manual says starting the engine will be easier if the pedal
is pumped several times when cold if the outside temp is below 10
degrees or above 70 degrees..this would explain why mine starts on first
or second turn when cooler in the morning yet i have to pump and crank
4-5 times when its hotter in the morning..anybody know the reason for
this?  thanks

mark blitman
'74 Imp 2dr