Three-legged jackstands (axle stands) Please read.

Three-legged jackstands (axle stands) Please read.

Title: Re: IML: Three-legged jackstands
I know that the jack stand (axle stand) arguments are drawing to an end of their shelf
life as they are not exactly "on topic" but being a professional in the motor trade responsible
for the acquisition of safe garage equipment used by about 300 technicians at the
two major London airports i feel knowledgeable enough to throw my tuppence into
the ring.

All our stands are three legged, all are braced near the bottom of the legs, when we
require stands over 6 Tonne capacity we have the stands made with an extra bracing band
midway between the lower band and the top of the stand, all stands must have a round
flat disc welded to make a foot at the bottom of each leg.

As the capacity increases the size of the pin increases accordingly, it is also important
to ensure the crutch (upper part of stand) is matched to the application i.e. a flat bottomed
crutch to match the chassis rails of your car.

Stands MUST only be used on FLAT LEVEL GROUND no exception, so if you have a sloping
drive jack the car up somewhere else.

With a car the size of an Imperial i would recommend a 4 tonne trolley jack minimum, matched
with a pair (or four) 6 tonne axle stands, the stands will be heavy to lift and may be awkward for
some to use but they will save your life so a little sweating and grunting getting the car settled
properly on a good set of stands is better than the unfortunate incident that has been reported
by Greg & Russell.

If you are not happy with the car the way you have it lifted then do something about it, laziness
is a killer, do it right first time every time and be safe.

I apologise if the above seems a bit strong but it is the only way to get the message across
properly so that everyone takes note and lives longer for it.

Neil 82 Imp
London, England.