smoking alternator 12 volt negative ground

smoking alternator 12 volt negative ground

To whom mite know whats happening. I put my kick board back in place on the drivers side of my 56 imperial. There was a heavy gauge wire that grounded to the frame for a short while. I noticed the ammeter went way off of the discharge side of glass. I then looked in the engine compartment to see smoke coming out of the alternator. I moved the wire from where it was grounded and the ammeter stays on the disscharge side even when I rev the engine. Have I fried something?

Thanks
Tim