Brake Fluid (was Budd - ing Controversy?)

Brake Fluid (was Budd - ing Controversy?)

I've had no trouble at all with any of my cars that are converted, with one
exception - on my wife's Studebaker Hawk, we kept losing brake light
switches.  They would begin to leak around the crimped seal where the
electrical contacts are set into the metal housing.   I never figured that
one out - I even sent two failed one to Echlin (the manufacturers) for their
engineering to look at.  They felt it was a random sample failure, but it
happened 3 times on that car, and never  on any other car.  This was a
standard SL134 brake light switch, as used on probably half or more of the
cars on the road in those days.  Strange.

I always replace ALL the soft parts when I make the conversion, including
hoses etc.  I flush the metal parts dry with lacquer thinner, then air dry.
When I bleed them, I do everything very slowly, because the silicon fluid
seems to pick up air bubbles if it is agitated at all. This is why some
folks have had trouble with spongy pedal.  Once all the air is out of the
system, the fluid is incompressible, and the pedal feel is just fine.

I converted my 1947 Packard in 1969 to Silicon fluid - the same fluid is
still in that car, the brakes are still firm, and the inside of the master
cylinder looks brand new - like fresh new cast metal!    I'm sold on it, as
long as it is done right.

I have not heard of Dot 3/4 fluid.  I believe Dot 4 is still alcohol based,
just a higher boiling point, and required for some disk brake cars.
Dick Benjamin