private sales, was : how classic dealers can get you

private sales, was : how classic dealers can get you

When I bought by black/black 68 LeBaron a bit over a year ago, i was almost
had.  The seller (not a dealer) lied on many fronts.  Lots of damage on the
chrome, some on interior pannels, paint weak.  He said "almost evrything works"
while only few items worked.  He said "brand new tires" while they were all dry
rotted.  And there is some hidden rust in the 1/4 pannels.  So,I travelled 600
miles to Mississippi for a car that was not what it was supposed to be.  But I
still liked it, and I really wanted to take it home with me.  So, I contained
my anger, gave him a lower offer than what we had agreed upon (but still
probably higher than the car's value), and drove the car home.  I am sure I
paid a bit too much for the car given the state of the economy and the car's
condition, but I have not regretted it.  Still, I did not pay much money for a
great car.  If that was a Mustang or a Plymouth A body, or even a Cheby Camaro,
I would have paid a whole lot more for a lot less car.
D^2, 2x68s