advance & carbon

--- dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Quoting Rob P <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> > I thought the same thing when I read this, but isn't it being advanced
> > which
> > induces run-on?
> >

> Yes, which made it even more confusing!  Kenyon?
>
> D^2, w/2 440s with absolutely NO carbon deposits!

I may have reversed the words as I stated what I did.

The distributor wound up being moved counter-clock-wise from its original
spot, twisting the vacuum advance module to the firewall and away from the
front bumper.

The engine settles down and runs really, really smoothly at idle in one
spot, but it pings like crazy when it's left there and gas is applied to
make the car go.  I have to keep it farther away from that sweet spot than
the idling engine seems to want it.  There is still some stumble and
vibration at idle that I think should not be present.

If the pistons are coked up with deposits, would this cause pinging,
dis-allowing the distributor to be placed where it most "wants" to be when
I'm under the hood and playing with it without a timing light?

I have had the car on the freeway at speeds around 70-85 for 30-45
minutes, and can't imagine going faster than that with the steering and
prop shaft/motor mount? vibration issues that I must address.

I don't think it prudent to run the car up much more than that in this
urban area.  I do have a leadfoot.  Should I expect to see the deposits
burned off over time?  Was it the little old lady or what that brought
them on?  How long do you think it might take for them to go away
naturally assuming regualr exercise of the car?  Opinions are just fine on
that last one - you can't say for sure, but I'm still curious what you
think.

Carbon comes from poor combustion?  Is there a magic goo that I can add to
the fuel?  Techron comes to mind, but maybe that's just the intake side of
things?

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area