IML - DIGEST POSTING

Hi again,

Many of us
would like to see the finished and unfinished product, especially the
interior.  Can you generate pictures?

Sure can, I have a bunch, I'll just have to find them again, they are on my
other computer. I have not taken any recently though, most are from the 2001
work I did which includes the wooden dash and stuff.

Wise idea to use the early 70's heads.  I think they will flow a bit better
than the 67's.  For performance, I think they are better.  A 4 speed mannual
is
an interesting modification for an Imperial.  I would not do that in any of
my
cars (does not fully fit the personality of a luxury car) but in your
customized car, it sounds like a good fit.  Can you install a hydraulic
clutch
or do you have to go w/ mechanical.  Do you have to reduce the size of the
brake pedal to make room for the clutch pedal?

It's going to use a hydraulic from a 1988 dodge ram with a 4 speed in it. I
think I'm going to install a pedal set from a dodge shadow with a manual
transmission, although it will require modification, it will probably look
the best. If that doesn't work out, I will use a cable clutch, I'm still
collecting parts for the transmission swap, I have the box, but I still need
a bell housing to fit.

I am quite sure though that the 67's already had forged steel cranks.  What
is
special with your crank?  Are you balancing the engine for super high revs?

It's just a heavyer crank. I will probably have it balanced, depending on
how much it costs in the end. This is an ongoing project, I'd like to get
some running out of it this summer to inspire me to go further.

Are you maintaining the 2.94 gears?

Yes, As crazy as this may sound, I hope to get the Imp over 200 MPH, and I
don't think anything lower would do that, I may have trouble with the 2.94s.
This is going to be a very strange car.

Finally, I would be interested in the final weight of your converstion.  I
am
sure its easy to reduce the weight of an overweight car like an Imperial,
but
1200#s sounds excessive without chopping structural parts.  I think the 440
weighs "only" about 700#s.  Its hard to believe that ALL the interior
pannels
and seats weigh almost twice as the engine!  And you would still have to
replace the removed items with something!  The very large weight of the
Imperial is mainly due to its super thick frames, subframes, crossmembers,
body
pannels, bumpers, etc.

I plan to have it weighed when it's done, so I'll post the numbers.
Hopefully I can get a 50/50 front rear weight balance.

Cheers

Tristan