Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 10:22 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: 1963 Background

Hal,
Glad to have another '63 enthusiast on the list! The source of  the 63
status probably comes from Exner's departure in late '61. He had a heart
attack in '56 as Chrysler was ramping up the design of the '61 cars. '62 and
'63 were the last of the "Forward Look" with their tailfins shaved. '62's
free-standing taillamps harkened back to '55's while '63 even lost that
styling cue. Many show cars of the late 50's hint of the direction Exner
planned for 61 and beyond. For example, here's the '59 Plymouth XNR:
    http://www.madle.org/exnr.htm

In 1961, Elwood Engel took control of styling at Chrysler. In a dramatic
break with the past, Imperial took on design cues from Continental in 1964.
Some feel that, as a transition car, '63 neither had the drama of Exner's
previous cars nor did it have the "modern look" that Engel brought to the
marque. Here's a comparison photo of the '63 Imperial next to a '63
Continental (sorry if the URL gets split):

http://www.imperialclub.com/yearbyyear/1963/FactoryPhotos/63-imp-linc-small.
jpg

Regardless, with its free-standing headlamps and all the interior gadgetry,
you have a fine example of what I consider the best Chrysler offered. I
first fell in love with the '63 upon discovering a green Crown in 1985. I
bought and drove that car until '95 when I sold it to start my search for a
convertible example. I found one in '99 and enjoy the stares I get as people
try to figure out what it is when stop for gas.

I put a copy of the factory service manual up on the web site at:
    http://www.imperialclub.com/yearbyyear/1963/63FSM/index.htm

Looking like a nice day here in Houston. I'll see if I can figure out how to
get to the latch.

Again, welcome to the club!
Mark Evans
1963 Imperial Crown Convertible