Please Welcome (Description of Modifications to 67 Imper ial)

Quoting Tristan Moore <v-2tmoor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the welcome :-) it is great to be back again.

Yes, now I remember you.  We had discussed this back then too.  Many of us
would like to see the finished and unfinished product, especially the
interior.  Can you generate pictures?

Wise idea to use the early 70's heads.  I think they will flow a bit better
than the 67's.  For performance, I think they are better.  A 4 speed mannual is
an interesting modification for an Imperial.  I would not do that in any of my
cars (does not fully fit the personality of a luxury car) but in your
customized car, it sounds like a good fit.  Can you install a hydraulic clutch
or do you have to go w/ mechanical.  Do you have to reduce the size of the
brake pedal to make room for the clutch pedal?

The headers have been discussed many times.  If you don't mind fixing exhaust
leaks fairly often and a real hot engine compartment (unless you cover them
with a special cloth to reduce radiation) then its fine I guess.  I am not sure
if the small performance gain over the real good stock manifolds is worth it,
but that's obviously up to you.  If you race, even a small gain counts.

I am quite sure though that the 67's already had forged steel cranks.  What is
special with your crank?  Are you balancing the engine for super high revs?

Are you maintaining the 2.94 gears?

Finally, I would be interested in the final weight of your converstion.  I am
sure its easy to reduce the weight of an overweight car like an Imperial, but
1200#s sounds excessive without chopping structural parts.  I think the 440
weighs "only" about 700#s.  Its hard to believe that ALL the interior pannels
and seats weigh almost twice as the engine!  And you would still have to
replace the removed items with something!  The very large weight of the
Imperial is mainly due to its super thick frames, subframes, crossmembers, body
pannels, bumpers, etc.

Anyway, keep us posted.  Its certainly fun to experience a unique Imperial.
Ultimately, its your car, so you can do anything you want with it!  Regardless
whether we like it or not.  I am sure you know that already.

D^2, 2x68s