'61 brakes?? ~ putting on a dual MC? - answers.

'61 brakes?? ~ putting on a dual MC? - answers.

My 1960 (same as 1961 for brakes) is garage-bound with a new dual MC, so
as I stated previously, I can only sit in the car, get my wife to spin the
wheels by hand and then jam on the brakes.

They seem to work, but I am 6-9 months away from a raod test, as the car
is frame and shell only at the moment.

I used a 67-69 full-sized Chrysler Dual MC for cars with all drum brakes.
it is my understanding that Disc Brake MC's are a NO-NO with all-drum cars
in that the disc MC's take a different volume of fluid and are WRONG.

The one that I got is supposed to have an internal proportioning valve, to
anticipate your next question.

I have extensive pictures of the mod and will be publishing the first
installment of my Imperial Epic (the word "Saga" has been trademarked by
Kerry, but it's essentially similar).  If you want pics of a 1960 and what
I did, please contact me off list with a big mailbox to take them, or hang
on for a week or so.

I plugged the 4-way brass splitter on the frame near the motor mount to a
3-way.  I replaced all lines because I value my braking ability and just
don't want to think about it.

On the front 4-way slitter with 1 hole plugged:
1 in from MC, 2 out to the 2 front wheels.

I then ran a seperate line from the MC to the rear.

New lines, MC and wheel cylinders means that I had a dry, new, empty
system.  I used DOT5 silicon fluid, and only had one leaky fitting to
re-tighten.

The MC has threaded "out" brake line holes that are not the same size as
your hose-fittings or each other.  Make certain to mock-up your system's
connections before leaving the parts-shop or you'll be back for the
reducing couplers.

-Kenyon