Richer/leaner, was Exhaust system discussion

Richer/leaner, was Exhaust system discussion

Guys , if you are running the car wide open a lot of the time you had better
do a plug chop and see what kind of mixture you're plugs are reading(wide
open under load,kill the ignition and coast to a stop, pull several plugs
and read them for mixture) This will tell you if your main jets are too
small or too big. But if you are only putting duals on the car and you are
not racing it I would not worry too much about it. If you did serious engine
performance enhancements then, yes, you would be well advised to go through
the procedure of getting your carb jetted properly.And it is a procedure,
not difficult, just time consuming requiring patience and some disipline. By
putting duals on an Imperial you are reducing backpressure and improving
efficiency thereby improving power(torque and horse)and increasing fuel
mileage. And with the same jetting your car WILL run leaner. Those are well
proven facts.Whether that will hurt your engine well, like I say, a quick
plug chop will tell you what you need to know. My opinion.

R. Giesbrecht

> > Quoting "John G. Napoli" <john@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > John N. had a comment about the need to enrich the carburetor if you
>replace
the exhaust with a less restrictive system.  I am not sure I agree
>with
>that.
>
>I don't want to start an argument, but this does need to be addressed.

John, this is a civilized discussion.  I do not modify or hotrod cars for a
living, so my point of view is not based on experience.  I see this from the
perspective of engine theory and design, which I know well.  Those not
interested in engine theory need not read any further!