392 belt numbers

When I restored my 57' I had saved all the belts and took them to my local NAPA dealer and he matched them up simply by measuring them. This worked out great. I believe they subtracted about 1 inch from each belt due to the old ones being stretched. Alex

--- On Mon 12/23, Hugh & Therese < hugtrees@xxxxxxxx > wrote:
From: Hugh & Therese [mailto: hugtrees@xxxxxxxx]
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:36:15 -0600
Subject: Re: IML: 392 belt numbers

> Mostly for Hugh, here are the Goodyear belt numbers for the 58 392.
>
> Generator: 15406. Generator on a/c cars: 15701 - set of 2. Generator
> with 40A Gen: 15396. Generator and idler ( mopar w/ air ) 15550. Power
> Steering : ( with or without air ) 15456- set of 2. A/C and idler :
13621 -
> set of 2.
>
> That is from a July of 1998 Goodyear catalog, any competent parts guy can
> change those numbers to their own brand. You may find that these numbers
> are the same as some other brands too.
>
> Good luck Hugh
>
> Mikey

Thanks. Now I have to interpret this information to assess which
combination of belts I need to get. There are two possible combinations.

1. The car has A/C and a larger generator

2. The car does not have A/C and has a smaller generator.

My car is the former. The car has two belts, both of which are doubled. In
theory, due to the redundancy of double belts, I should not be having a
problem, but in fact I lost three belts at one time. The smaller belt goes
from the engine to the water pump and the steering pump. The larger works
from additional rings set on the outside of the water pump and works the A/C
and the generator. The generator is on the right of the engine, the A/C is
on the left. The water pump is at the bottom at the center.

The information provided by Mikey seems to suggest three sets of belts. It
seems to say that the A/C and the generator have separate belts. This in
fact is possible, except that bot would have an additional, unused ring on
their pulleys. To complicate matters further, I have no idler pulleys of
any kind.

I went to Autozone today. Their list is very similar to Mikey's, except it
states that some of the belts are unavailable. It seems clear I need #
15456, for the power steering & water pump. My best guess is I will need
# 15701, which is for the generator on A/C cars. That it says it is a set
of two is also a good hint. It is confusing that the A/C is not mentioned
in combination with the generator, as the same belt is powering both, and
that there appear to be A/C only belts.

The summer before last, I tried to replace all the belts when I had the
engine apart. I could find no trace of any numbers on either of the larger
belts I had. Nor could I find any that were of the same size. I did
replace both of the shorter belts.

Andy Bernbaum does not carry these belts and neither does Hot Head Hemis.
Mr. Bernbaum was kind enough to give me some belt numbers for A/C fitted
392's in Chrysler 300's, which I imagine, or simply hope, will be the same.
These numbers meant nothing to the fellow at Autozone. They seem to be the
numbers of the original manufacturer, whose name I forget right this second.
I cannot be the first one with an A/C fitted 58 or 57 Imperial who has had
to replace these belts. I'd be really happy if someone who has walked this
path before me could tell me the correct part numbers and where to get them.
I never get used to the idea that I seem always seem to be clearing long
overgrown paths in my search for helpful information about this evidently
enigmatic era of Imperial.

Hugh