Now I'm smoking too!

While out test driving my Imperial today I noticed smoke coming in the car from under the dash board, and up through the vent onto the windshield, and also out of the outside vents by the wipers. I have seen this happen before, after the car had not been driven for a while, and figured it's just stuff burning off the block and exhaust and coming through the firewall. Today however it was prolonged, and even started to cloud up the windshield. I pulled over and looked under the dash, and then in the engine compartment, but could find nothing. It must be in the area of the outside vent between the firewall. Any ideas what this might be? The only thing that I could figure is maybe the heater unit.
Bill '59 Crown