The Forward Look- more than just fins

--- Crown58imp@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Virgil Exner was a meticulous designer. Today people mostly remember the
>decadent fins of the
> late fifties and equate them to Exner. The fin was only one of many
> design
> elements incorporated into these cars. All fins are not created equal,
> however. Exner actually tested models of his designs on a wind tunnel to
> get
> the most efficient aerodynamics. This is how he came to the conclusion
> that
> the canted fin was best. Unlike Exner, GM's designers tacked on
> inefficient
> straight up style fins on their cars. The casnted fin proved itself in
> wind
> tunnel test to have the best aerodynamics and ability to cheat the
> effect of
> cross winds. This is why Mopars have canted fins rather than straight up

Whooee.

I kind-of think that if this were really true, that current cars might
have some modernized form of fins.

As far as cross-winds:  Racing bicycles have solid rear wheels and spoked
front wheels where ultimate aerodynamics are required where there will be
cross wind, as the front wheel can be twisted by the wind if left solid
(resulting in crashes).  The rear disc is left off where moderate cross
winds are expected because they get blown all over the place.  All of this
on a vhehicle (bicycle) that is very sensitive to wind due to the person
powering the bike feeling the effects directly.

I'd tend to argue that any fins act like sails in cross winds, and that a
1961 and 1963 would feel different under some rare circumstances where the
wind was blowing really hard.  Of course the weight of the car, and the
relative lack of hurricane force cross winds might probably also
contribute to the fins not really making a difference.  Maybe at 100 mph
they make the car track straighter, but the gyroscopic forces of the
wheels would tend to help any car on that point.

I've read much of the Chrysler ad copy as I've been collecting stuff for
the site, and I'd bet that context for these ads is important.  The 1956
ad campaign has a bunch of the forward look cars in front of fighter jets,
comparing their lines to these newly introduced cars.  "Aerodynamics" was
probably also quite a buzz word that sounded scientific and new.  Who's
going to argue the dealership salesman over what degree fins stabilize a
car?  That one's VERY subjective.

After extensive and exhausting research, I have been able to prove that
the 1960 Imperial body shape IS the pinnacle of crosswind-cheating aero
design.  So good, in fact, that they just gave up trying to refine it
about a year later.  I'll publish my mathematical proof soon.

Take that you 1958 owners!

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area