Myths..auto that is.

>   4. Transmission fluid for a quick shine on your
> paint.

I don't know about this, but I used to use some WD-40
to spruce up the old hot rod before going out on a hot
date.  Really made the terribly faded MAACO paint job
look pretty good in the streetlights.  Unfortunately,
this had two drawbacks:

1) Only lasted a few days, then WD40 went away
2) Don't lean against the car!

Don't know if it damaged the paint in any
way...anyway, it was in pretty bad shape regardless.

>   5. Bondo to fix rust holes.

LOL...my friend's dad had a 5 gallon drum of the
stuff, he used it structurally.  I'm not kidding.

>   6. Primer is good enough to last until you "get
> around to painting it"

This one pisses me off...I read ads for cars on ebay
where the owner "put a little primer over where the
paint wore through to protect it"  Primer's role in
life is to be pourous and absorb what you spray over
it.  It also does a very good job of absorbing water.

I'll add my own myth:  You can drive without a
thermostat, and it won't hurt the car.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Thanksgiving cometh