converters/ fluid couplings

Quoting "John G. Napoli" <john@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Exactly.  That's why lockup clutches on trannys with torque converters
> are
> very important.  Depending on the stall speed of the converter and the
> weight of the car, you can see a 10% drop in engine rpm once the lockup
> clutch is engaged, at highway speeds.  That's a measurable improvement
> in
> mpg.  Fluid couplings would show a much smaller improvement.  Hard to

John, its a lot less than that for cars like our 60's and early 70's
Imperials.  For normal crusing it can get as low as 1% or even less (see my
prior post).  Even at WOT, as long as the engine speed is around 4000 rpm or
more, it will be of the same order (1-2%).  Modern cars with small engines have
high stall converters, and these will slip a lot more.  Also, these engines
have a lot less torque, so the lock-up clutch can be a ot weaker, and it often
locks on all gears.

D^2