Replacement Bronze for '68 -- vinyl sign material

Replacement Bronze for '68 -- vinyl sign material

In a message dated 12/13/02 1:27:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mopowered@xxxxxxx writes:

I just thought I'd mention that I own the type of computerized plotter/sign cutter that is used to cut this material. I considered the same idea myself (sign material as a replacement for the bronze) but never pursued it, and sold the '68 I owned.

One item that would be critical to success is a completely clean/flat surface. *IF* someone were willing to send all of the key dimentions for me to feed into the computer, I might be able to cut these as a kit.

BTW, there is a bronze material available that is a near-perfect match.

Carmine,
I used the sign material in large enough pieces to stick to the whole metal piece and then used an Exacto blade to cut all of the excess material off.  The cutting is very easy as you just follow the metal edges with your blade, but be sure to squeegee (however you spell it) the water out from between the vinyl and metal and let dry completely before attempting to trim excess.

Another advantage to using this method is the replacement of missing pieces is easier if all pieces ar covered in matching material.  I added power vents to my 68 Conv and needed the bronze plates to cover the vent crank holes and only found one, so I had a metal shop cut the other out of the closest thickness brass sheet and all matched once covered.

John -- 78 NYB
Atlanta