413 cam and lifters

bom tie wrote:

> I am installing an Edelbrock cam in my car and I have two
> problems.
> One, I have lost the cam bolt I guess (or maybe someone
> lost it for me) as I have had the engine apart a while. I
> went to Autozone to ask for a cam bolt kit and just looked
> ahead blank. Do I have to order from Summit, 8 bucks to
> ship and I do not want to wait. How about NAPA?

     One from any B/RB at the junkyard core pile will work.
I have a grade 8 bolt and washer from the local hardware
store in one of my cars, no problem

> Two, I read the instructions to see if I preloaded these
> lifters or not. I did not find anything about it in the
> booklet. After I preload these lifters in oil I see a
> sheet off to itself that reads "do not preload lifters,
> may bend pushrods." Ok what is my next move here?
> Thanks,
> Charles

     You can't preload the lifters more than the factory set
amount without an adjustable valve train.  The lifters will
fill quickly through the oil galleries as soon as the oil
comes under pressure.  The critical item is the break-in
lube, which goes only on the very bottom of the lifter, as
well as on the cam lobes; I put a bit of oil around the
barrel of each lifter as I drop it in.  Putting break-in
lube on the barrel of the lifter supposedly prevents it from
rotating, which it is designed to do to keep from wearing
away quickly.  If you use a pre-oiling shaft, while having
someone run the shaft with a drill, you can rotate the crank
and as the oil feeds align in the cam bearings, you'll see
oil under pressure feed the upper areas.  You may need
pushrods from a later RB engine, I think post-67, as the
lower tips of the pushrods and the receptacles in the
lifters are different in earlier engines, and your early
pushrods may not fit all the way down in the new lifters and
thus would keep the valves open all the time.

Bill Parker, South Central Indiana
'62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart Convertible (Kathi's car);
'65 Imperial; '65 Barracuda \6 (Kathi's other car); '68 Hemi
Roadrunner; '68 Barracuda Fastback 383-S; '69 Barracuda
Fastback now 360 (20 y.o. son's car); '72 Cuda 340

Bill and Kathi, South Central Indiana