galloping 440

I have a 68 Crown with the 440 and Holley carb.  The carb was supposedly professionally rebuilt by the previous owner before I purchased the car 6 months ago, and he provided receipts to verify this.  The fuel pump was also replaced.  The car has been hard to start from the day I received it, and now has developed a "gallop" or surging at slow idle.  When the car sits idling after the engine is hot, it sounds like it has a racing cam in it.  Any suggestions on where to start to correct the problem?  Thanks for any ideas you have.

Bob

--- Sykes Robert P.
--- bobsykes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.