My '67 has a dangerous electrical problem!

My '67 has a dangerous electrical problem!

> road at night.  A passing police officer gave me
> some flares
> to light behind my car to warn away oncoming

Like you need flares so people can see your Imperial
better.  LOL.  I bet the police officer must have
given you some look.  They always do whenever I'm in
trouble in my big behemoth.

Anyway, it sounds like the problem could either be a
loss of power at the fuse box, or a loss of all power
given by the ignition switch.  You remarked the
windows, lights, etc still worked- those aren't
regulated by the ignition switch.  Next time it
happens, jump a wire across the switch and try to
crank the car.  If it will crank, you've got a bad
switch.  It could be grounding out the solonoid or
something, too- you may need to disconnect the wires
from the switch.  (thankfully, '67's have no locking
steering column, so the wires are easy to get at)

The bulkhead connector could be the problem too-
despite its recent cleaning, sometimes the wire crimps
work themselves loose, or just get crud on them.  Try
an ohm meter across the block, on all the terminals.
If you use a pointy-ended probe, you can pierce the
insulation so you don't have to disconnect anything.

That's all I can think of for now...if it were a '74
(like my Plymouth) I'd say check the safety belt
interlock circuitry...it can sometimes play tricks.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."
  --Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute