The exciting years

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 07:27:22 -0500 Hugh & Therese <hugtrees@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> Our Imperials have become historical time
> pieces and I think it's delightful
> to get pictures of them with other stuff from
> the same era.  I am working on
> a history of San Antonio transportation, from
> earliest prairie schooner days
> to the present - and have yet to find a
> significant 1958 event or structure
> which will allow me to include a picture of the
> car.  I am going through
> records to see if I can find any good buildings
> built that year, for
> example.

I also like putting other items of historical context in or on my cars, easily
removable, of course, and getting pictures of the cars in a location of
similar vintage.  I've taken pictures of the Imperial in front of the
Guggenheim Museum in New York, also built in 1959, and of the Riviera in front
of the Watergate complex in DC (the break-in was in June 1972).  The Imperial
has a 1960 Nixon/Lodge window sticker, and the Riviera has a pair of
McGovern/Shriver bumper stickers mounted on magnets.  I'd like to find a
bumper sticker for Nelson Rockefeller's New York gubernatorial campaign in
1958, but no luck yet.

Neal Herman (politically-oriented in Wash, DC)
1959 Imperial Crown "National Nixon/Lodge Club 1960"
1972 Buick Riviera "Nixon's Through in '72"
1983 Chrysler Cordoba "Reagan/Bush 1984"